BGI News More
- BGI Genomics Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering
- BGI Launches the Latest Desktop Sequencer BGISEQ-50
- International Science Community Welcomes China National GeneBank Opening
- BGI and Clearbridge BioMedics Partner to Develop China CTC Liquid Biopsy Market towards Precision Medicine
- The international Sc2.0 Project is on track to build the world’s first synthetic yeast genome
- Avian-specific conserved genomic elements play important regulatory roles in the macroevolution of avian-specific features
- The Evolution of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Revealed
- BGI involved in publication of the first seahorse genome in Nature
- Leading Health Organizations in Canada and China Teaming up to Accelerate Precision Medicine
- World’s largest genomic organisation to collaborate with leading Queensland researchers
- Ranomics Partners with BGI to Classify Variants of Unknown Significance
- BGI and UW collaborate on precision medicine development
- Chinese innovation : BGI’s code for success
- First Round Conference Announcement: The 13th Annual Meeting of the International Conference on Genomics
- Prof. Huanming Yang to Receive Membership from Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
- UW, Chinese genomics group forge new partnership to advance biomedical research
Tel: +86-755-36307212Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Lecture Given by Francis S. Collins M.D., Ph.D. Successfully Concluded
Publish Date: 2010-10-17
On October 16, 2010, BGI-Shenzhen was honored to host Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., the Director of US National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr Collins gave an academic lecture on biology and genetics, introducing the history of NIH, its current projects, and what NIH has done on diabetes study. Present at the lecture included Dr Huanming Yang, Dr Jian Wang and Dr Jun Wang. The excellent lecture which lasted one and a half hour was attended by warm applause from the audiences.
During the mutual interlocution section, audiences actively raised questions regarding to Dr Collins’s happy childhood experiences, the reform of US medical system, and stem cells therapy. After that, Dr Collins played the guitar and sang a song about somebody who had just had his genome sequenced. This fantastic performance was greeted with long and thunderous applauses. Dr Collins’s visit ended with a tour around BGI with the company of Dr Jun Wang.
The academic lecture given by Dr Francis S. Collins was definitely a platform of communication and a stage of learning.
About Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
Francis S. Collins is regarded as “one of the most accomplished scientists of our time.”He has made revolutionary contributions to genetic research, which has led to the identification of genetic variants associated with type 2 diabetes and the genes responsible for cystic fibrosis, neurofibromatosis, Huntington's disease and Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.
He is the former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI). On July 8, 2009, Dr Collins was nominated as Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) by President Barack Obama.
For more, please visit: http://www.genome.gov/10000779