BGI News More
- BGI Laboratories Approved to Conduct High-throughput Clinical Genetic Sequencing Services in China
- African Plant Breeding Academy in Nairobi Graduates First Cohort to Address Orphan Crops Vital to Continent
- Director Jun Wang on CNBC NEXT LIST for the next 25 years
- BGI Tech, DLF-Trifolium A/S, and Aarhus University Applying Genomic Selection Methods for First Methods for First Time to Enhance Forage Grass Varieties
- Latest Study Finds BGI’s NIFTY® Test Performs Best in Noninvasive Prenatal Screening
- Chinese researchers completed genome sequencing of the Perciform Fish Larimichthys crocea
- New findings reveal gut microbiome development in colorectal adenoma and carcinoma
- The first decoded Neobatrachia genome provides new insight for the amphibian evolutionary research
- BGI Health Forms Partnership with University of Mayor in South America
- BGI Health and Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Collaborated to Introduce NIFTY Test to India
- BGI Health Joins Hand with Star Metropolis Clinical Laboratories to Provide Genetic Testing Service
- BGI-Hong Kong 3730 Production Center Begins Operating, Providing Fast and High-quality Sequencing Services
- Chinese innovation : BGI’s code for success
- China’s Genome-Mapping Giant BGI Is Poised to Become an International Leader in Gene Sequencing and May Play Major Role in Interpretation of Genetic Test Results(Dark Daily)
- Chinese genome mappers BGI explain their mission to change the world
- 2015 Gates Annual Letter: Our big bet for the future
Tel: +86-755-25031760Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Lecture Given by Francis S. Collins M.D., Ph.D. Successfully Concluded
Publish Date: 2010-10-17
On October 16, 2010, BGI-Shenzhen was honored to host Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., the Director of US National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr Collins gave an academic lecture on biology and genetics, introducing the history of NIH, its current projects, and what NIH has done on diabetes study. Present at the lecture included Dr Huanming Yang, Dr Jian Wang and Dr Jun Wang. The excellent lecture which lasted one and a half hour was attended by warm applause from the audiences.
During the mutual interlocution section, audiences actively raised questions regarding to Dr Collins’s happy childhood experiences, the reform of US medical system, and stem cells therapy. After that, Dr Collins played the guitar and sang a song about somebody who had just had his genome sequenced. This fantastic performance was greeted with long and thunderous applauses. Dr Collins’s visit ended with a tour around BGI with the company of Dr Jun Wang.
The academic lecture given by Dr Francis S. Collins was definitely a platform of communication and a stage of learning.
About Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
Francis S. Collins is regarded as “one of the most accomplished scientists of our time.”He has made revolutionary contributions to genetic research, which has led to the identification of genetic variants associated with type 2 diabetes and the genes responsible for cystic fibrosis, neurofibromatosis, Huntington's disease and Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.
He is the former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI). On July 8, 2009, Dr Collins was nominated as Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) by President Barack Obama.
For more, please visit: http://www.genome.gov/10000779