BGI News More
- BGI and Clearbridge BioMedics Partner to Develop China CTC Liquid Biopsy Market towards Precision Medicine
- Tadataka Yamada, M.D., Former President of Global Health Program at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Former Chairman of R&D at GlaxoSmithKline, Joins BGI
- BGI Tops Nature Index 2016 Chinese Corporate Institutions
- BGI Performed More Than One Million NIFTY® Tests Worldwide
- BGI and Vancouver Prostate Centre Working Together on Precision Medicine to Improve Outcomes for Men with Prostate Cancer
- New findings reveal Asian lung adenocarcinoma mutations
- International Team completed whole genome sequencing of ruff
- International Team Decoded the Dinoflagellate Symbiodinium Kawagutii Genome
- Ranomics Partners with BGI to Classify Variants of Unknown Significance
- BGI and UW collaborate on precision medicine development
- BGI and Washington State University Sign MOU on Basic and Applied Research in Agriculture
- Arcadia Biosciences and BGI to Create Global Non-GM Genetic Resource for Rice
- Chinese innovation : BGI’s code for success
- UW, Chinese genomics group forge new partnership to advance biomedical research
- Mapping more genomes will create a healthcare 'big data revolution'
- Human Genome Project: Twenty-five years of big biology
Tel: +86-755-36307212Email: email@example.com
Academic Lecture Given by Francis S. Collins M.D., Ph.D. Successfully Concluded
Publish Date: 2010-10-17
On October 16, 2010, BGI-Shenzhen was honored to host Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., the Director of US National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr Collins gave an academic lecture on biology and genetics, introducing the history of NIH, its current projects, and what NIH has done on diabetes study. Present at the lecture included Dr Huanming Yang, Dr Jian Wang and Dr Jun Wang. The excellent lecture which lasted one and a half hour was attended by warm applause from the audiences.
During the mutual interlocution section, audiences actively raised questions regarding to Dr Collins’s happy childhood experiences, the reform of US medical system, and stem cells therapy. After that, Dr Collins played the guitar and sang a song about somebody who had just had his genome sequenced. This fantastic performance was greeted with long and thunderous applauses. Dr Collins’s visit ended with a tour around BGI with the company of Dr Jun Wang.
The academic lecture given by Dr Francis S. Collins was definitely a platform of communication and a stage of learning.
About Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
Francis S. Collins is regarded as “one of the most accomplished scientists of our time.”He has made revolutionary contributions to genetic research, which has led to the identification of genetic variants associated with type 2 diabetes and the genes responsible for cystic fibrosis, neurofibromatosis, Huntington's disease and Hutchinson-Gilford progeria syndrome.
He is the former director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI). On July 8, 2009, Dr Collins was nominated as Director of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) by President Barack Obama.
For more, please visit: http://www.genome.gov/10000779