- BGI Genomics Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering
- BGI Launches the Latest Desktop Sequencer BGISEQ-50
- International Science Community Welcomes China National GeneBank Opening
- BGI and Clearbridge BioMedics Partner to Develop China CTC Liquid Biopsy Market towards Precision Medicine
- The international Sc2.0 Project is on track to build the world’s first synthetic yeast genome
- Avian-specific conserved genomic elements play important regulatory roles in the macroevolution of avian-specific features
- The Evolution of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Revealed
- BGI involved in publication of the first seahorse genome in Nature
- Leading Health Organizations in Canada and China Teaming up to Accelerate Precision Medicine
- World’s largest genomic organisation to collaborate with leading Queensland researchers
- Ranomics Partners with BGI to Classify Variants of Unknown Significance
- BGI and UW collaborate on precision medicine development
- Chinese innovation : BGI’s code for success
- Prof. Huanming Yang to Receive Membership from Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters
- UW, Chinese genomics group forge new partnership to advance biomedical research
- Mapping more genomes will create a healthcare 'big data revolution'
Tel: +86-755-36307212Email: email@example.com
May 20, 2017, Seattle, USA - BGI, a leading global genomics organization, announced plans to create a West Coast Innovation Center to develop technologies and collaborative projects in life science, global health and related fields.
The BGI Global Innovation Center will be co-located in Seattle, Wash. and San Jose, Calif. to build an ecosystem of innovation in the two high-technology clusters and promote cross-sector collaboration.
Genomics are driving the most important discoveries of our time, delivering life-saving solutions across the globe. This includes securing our food sources, the preservation of biodiversity in the face of climate change, stemming the spread of devastating pandemics and revolutionizing cures for cancer.
Dr. Jian Wang, a pioneer in genomic science, co-founder and president of BGI, visited the West Coast to launch the center, while joining 130 of the world’s top business and technology leaders at the Microsoft CEO Summit. Wang also met with Washington Governor Jay Inslee, University of Washington President Ana Mari Cauce and UW Medicine CEO Paul Ramsey and Dr. Linda Buck, Nobel Laureate and researcher at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.
Washington Governor Jay Inslee and Jian Wang
Washington Governor Jay Inslee gave Jian Wang a painting of Mount Rainier that he painted himself
“The Center demonstrates BGI’s commitment to international collaboration and to aligning interests and partners to drive innovation,” said Wang, adding that BGI intended to support a number of research initiatives, such as precision medicine and population health efforts at the University of Washington.
“With the partnership between UW Medicine and BGI, more innovations in research, education and healthcare will be developed between Seattle and Shenzhen to benefit the health of people worldwide,” Wang stated.
University of Washington President Ana Mari Cauce and Jian Wang
UW Medicine CEO Paul Ramsey and Jian Wang
Wang met with business, health and technology leaders to share insights on key topics, such as:
· Genomics, climate change and preserving the world’s genetic heritage
· The rise of genomics to stem pandemics
· Precision medicine and big data
Headquartered in Shenzhen, China, BGI has offices in Australia, Denmark, Japan and the United States, and expanded to Seattle last year. BGI’s Innovation Center received the endorsement of the City of Shenzhen, which is encouraging international collaboration among leading Shenzhen-based companies.
BGI acquired Complete Genomics, a Mountain View, CA-based sequencing technology company in 2013. Based on CG’s technology, BGI launched its proprietary high-throughput next-gen sequencers, BGISEQ-500 and BGISEQ-50 in 2015 and 2016 respectively in China.
For more information
Kristi Heim, Senior Director, Business Development and Communications
Head of International Partnerships