The principles of MALDI is use laser light irradiating the sample with a matrix formed of the crystalline film, the matrix to absorb energy from the laser is passed to the biological molecules, while the ionization process will proton transfer the biological molecules or biological molecules to the proton of the biomolecule ionization process. Therefore, it is a soft ionization technique, applicable to the mixture and the determination of biological macromolecules.
In proteomics, MALDI is used for the rapid identification of proteins isolated by using gel electrophoresis: SDS-PAGE, size exclusion chromatography, affinity chromatography, strong/weak ion exchange, isotope coded protein labelling (ICPL),and two-dimensional gel electrophoresis. Peptide mass fingerprinting is the most popular analytical application of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers. MALDI TOF/TOF mass spectrometers are used to reveal amino acid sequence of peptides using post-source decay or high energy collision-induced dissociation (further use see mass spectrometry).
Some synthetic macromolecules, such as catenanes and rotaxanes, dendrimers and hyperbranched polymers, and other assemblies, have molecular weights extending into the thousands or tens of thousands, where most ionization techniques have difficulty producing molecular ions. MALDI is a simple and fast analytical method that can allow chemists to rapidly analyze the results of such syntheses and verify their results.
In polymer chemistry MALDI can be used to determine the molar mass distribution. Polymers with polydispersity greater than 1.2 are difficult to characterize with MALDI due to the signal intensity discrimination against higher mass oligomers. A good matrix for polymers is dithranol and AgTFA.
MALDI/TOF spectra are used for the identification of microorganisms such as bacteria or fungi. A colony of the microbe in question is smeared directly on the sample target and overlayed with matrix. The mass spectra generated are analyzed by dedicated software and compared with stored profiles. Species diagnosis by this procedure is much faster, more accurate and cheaper than other procedures based on immunological or biochemical tests. MALDI/TOF may become the standard method for species identification in medical microbiological laboratories over the next few years.
Attain the highest level of mass spectrometry performance with the new ultrafleXtreme. Combining true 2 kHz speed in TOF mode and 1 kHz in TOF/TOF mode with ultrahigh performance and extreme flexibility for a broad variety of complementary research, clinical and applied proteomics applications.
Instrument performance and characteristics
• The innovative smartbeam-II™ laser enables ultra-high data acquisition speed in both MS and MS/MS at full systems performance.
• Bruker's patented smartbeam technology is already widely accepted as the most viable MALDI imaging laser technology. The new ultrafleXtreme now enables laser focus diameters down to 10 µm for high spatial resolution imaging without pixel overlap. Importantly, outstanding spectral quality and signal intensity are maintained at even the smallest laser beam diameters.
• Broadband mass resolving power up to 40,000 enables precision proteomics via Bruker’s unique PAN™ technology for highest mass resolution across a very broad mass range, not just at a selected optimum.
• The novel FlashDetector™ combined with a minimum of 4 GHz digitizer and latest advances in electronics provide unmatched mass resolving power up to 40,000 and 1 ppm mass accuracy for highest confidence.
• The novel and unique laser-irradiation self-cleaning Ion Source ensures robust, long-term highest-performance operation.
• Latest TOF/TOF technology: The high efficiency and sensitivity of the LID-LIFT process delivers MS/MS spectra with nominal mass resolution for peptides.
As a result, proteins can be identified with high confidence with unmatched ease. Smart combination of technological features is key for ultrafleXtreme top-performance.
• Molecular histology；
• Protein modification；
A compact linear-mode bench-top MALDI-TOF system designed as an easy to use, but high performance solution for basic applications. The microflex LT is integral part of the MALDI Biotyper solution for fast and reliable identification of microorganism.
Equipped with an additional gridless reflectron, the microflex LRF gives superior resolution, excellent mass accuracy, and outstan ding sensitivity for a number of applications–performance unequaled by others in this class.
Instrument performance and characteristics
microflex LT syste
This affordable, high value bench-top MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer is designed for a number of routine applications in protein and small molecule analysis as well as clinical environments.
• This instrument benefits from its gridless, self-cleaning ion source providing excellent sensitivity in positive ion mode.
• Operating under the integrated Compass™ software platform for intuitive operation especially by non-expert users and in multi-instrument laboratories.
• the linear-mode microflex LT is a robust and easy-to-use system for many clinical and life-science laboratories.
• This technology provides homogeneous, exactly-positioned samples on the MALDI target for robust and rapid automated data collection, as well as up to two orders of magnitude increase in sensitivity.
microflex LRF system
The microflex LRF takes advantage of Bruker Daltonics’ long standing expertise in delivering practical to use, high performance mass spectrometers.
• The unique design of the microScout ion source, and the gridless reflectron, give the microflex LRF superior resolution, as well as excellent mass accuracy and outstanding sensitivity in positive and negative ion mode.
• The microflex LRF represents a step up in performance for a bench-top MALDI platform, while retaining all of the robustness and ease of use of this type of instrument.
• Superior system performance enables detection of even a broad mass range of small molecule, polymer, protein, and peptide analytes.
• range of small molecule
• peptide analytes
Key Features and Benefits
• Mass spectrometry-based detection system for sensitive, accurate, and rapid analyses
• 384 and 96-well options for high- and low-throughput research applications
• Easy-to-use multiplexed assay design and optimization software saves research time and maximizes efficiency
• Fast chip scan rate for quick time-to-results
• Robust, label-free primer extension chemistries saves money
• Small footprint and built-in computer saves valuable bench space
• High Performance. Highly accurate MALDI-TOF-based detection provides unparalleled specificity and sensitivity for studies of genetic variation including somatic mutation detection in heterogeneous samples.
• Maximum Flexibility
The highly scalable MassARRAY Analyzer 4 platform can analyze any combination of SNPs and samples for medium to high-throughput applications, making it ideally suited for candidate gene analysis downstream of next generation sequencing and whole genome association studies.
• Somatic Mutation Profiling
• ADME PGx Genotyping
• Sample Identification
• Molecular Typing
• SNP Genotyping
• DNA Methylation Analysis
• Gene Expression Analysis (QGE)
• Lational Reseach
• Agricultural genomics