On March 11, 2011, BGI-South was established. Its headquarters office locates in Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center (GHEMC). BGI-South focuses on people’s livelihood and technology, promotes independent innovation and industrial upgrading, and aims at creating ‘production, learning and research’ innovation. It is contributed to the development livelihood-related medical testing technology, including cervical and breast cancer screening, hepatitis B drug resistance testing, birth defects genetic screening, HLA high resolution detection, monogenic diseases detection, the elderly population health testing and other projects related with genomics.
BGI-South emphasizes on clinical research and personnel training and has established cooperation with many first-class hospitals and institutes to provide opportunities for students to involve in research on forefront genomics science, such as the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, the First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College. Cooperation also covers universities in South China, such as Jinan University, South China Agricultural University.
1. On March 11, 2011, South Region was established and headquartered in GHEMC. While on June 14, South Region’s Team completelycreated.
2. On August 5, 2011, BGI donated 100,000 casesHPV screening services to Guangdong Province, project started in Shenzhen for the first stop.
3. On August 9, 2011, Guangdong Province, Heshan city signed framework agreement of “Building Happiness Heshan”with BGI.
4. On September 1, 2011, BGI NIFTY technology hadbeen approved bythe Guangdong Province technology demonstration.
5. On October 20, 2011, GuangmeiYan, the Vice President of Sun Yat-Sen University,and his entourages visitedBGI to discuss joint training and innovative educational matters.
6. On January 19, 2012, JianhuaXu(Secretary of Dongguan City)andBaocheng Yuan (Mayor of Dongguan City)had an enthusiastic meeting withJianWang (president of BGI) and his entourages. They signed agreement of cooperatingin screeningof cervical cancer in Dongguan.
7. On February 8, 2012, Xiaozhuang Zhang (President of Women and Children's Hospital of Guangdong (WCHG)) and Xiuqing Zhang (Vice President of BGI) unveiled two nameplates, “Guangdong Birth Defect Gene Bank of National Gene Bank” and “Noninvasive prenatal genetic testing joint laboratory of WCHG and BGI”.
8. On February 22, 2012, ZhiyuPeng (Presidentof South Region) and XiaoxueTian (Deputy Director of Panyu Health Bureau) investigated the location of Clinical Testing Center in GHEMC.
9. On April 24, 2012, The First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College and BGI signed agreement for building Joint Trans-OmicsLaboratory.
10. OnJune 2, 2012, Genomics Joint Laboratory by Women and Children`s Hospital ofFoshan and BGI was founded.
11. June in 2012, BGI signed agreement with Panyu District Government for founding clinical testing center.
12. On June 12, 2012, Both South China Agricultural University and BGI discussed collaborative innovation and had a set of agreement on scientific innovation and joint-supervision.
13. On July 4, 2012, Guangzhou Women and Children MedicalCenter and BGI signed a strategic cooperation agreement toaccumulate scientific achievement’s translating to clinical applications.
14. On July 5, 2012, Jinan University and BGI signed a strategic cooperation framework agreement tofound a joint college.
15. On July 16, 2012, the First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University (FAHJU) and BGI got agreement in scientific research and clinical gene test. FAHJU joined the national gene bank, and they will select and share samples with detailed medical record in the future.
16. On August 1, 2012, Shenzhen Futian district government and BGI signed a strategic cooperation agreement. The agreement included noninvasive prenatal diagnosis, fetus chromosome aneuploidy test, fetus deaf relative gene test, neonate hereditary metabolic disease detection and so on.
17. On September 26, 2012, Foshan government and BGI signed a strategic cooperation agreement.
18. On October 15, 2012, Guangdong Medical college and BGI signed ceremony of “Happy Western Guangdong and Healthy Zhanjiang” and press conference was held successfully.
19. In September 2012, BGI`s “Guangzhou Oncology Trans-Omics Research Laboratory” was approved with the great help of Bureau of science and information in Guangzhou.
20. On December 11, 2012, Guangzhou CDPU and BGI investigated the potential cooperative project.
21. On December 29, 2012, South Region successfully held “Partner Return Banquet and Academic exchange conference”.
BGI South Region covers Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan province, where has large population, rapid economic development and comprehensive health care system. There are over 100 outstanding hospitals in Guangzhou, including the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen, South Hospital and the First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College. Abundant education and research resources supply plenty of opportunities to explore. Especially powerful computer cluster support in this place, it will be great help to our huge computation requirement. The office location, Guangzhou, is the typical area.
BGI South Region makes cooperation with more than 30 hospitals in Guangzhou on NIFTY, HBV resistance testing and HLA genotyping projects. According to features of each hospital, BGI South Region promotes a set of healthy industrial development and clinical research, including the PGD project with the Reproductive Genetics Center of First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen; the Joint Oncology Trans-Omics Laboratory with the First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College.
There are many universities of tremendous strength in Guangzhou. As one of the top level of life sciences research cities, Sun Yat-sen University, South Medical University, Jinan University and other colleges and universities now build genomics related laboratories and divide energy to this studies. The research funds from these universities are more than 10 billion a year. They train a large number of biological talents.
Guangzhou Supercomputing Center was founded on November 26, 2011, built by the Guangdong Province, Guangzhou City, Sun Yat-sen University and National Defense University. It is believed to be a high-performance, massive processing, and multifunctional computing center, Since the supercomputing center prepared in 2012, BGI kept in touch with the Guangzhou’s Government promote the center to apply on high-throughput genome sequencing platform, which could be great help for digitized health and personalized medicine. It will speed up clinical genetic diagnosis development, build up large-scale disease screening platform for population genomics research and analysis complex disease. It is believed that, with the development of BGI South Region, the union of genomics sequencing and super computing platform will greatly improve the life and health industry.
In the next 3-5 years, based on the BGI South Region Medical Testing Laboratory, the BGI South Region will strengthen
genetic testing technology promotion and research of serious diseases and establish bio-industry alliances to promote early prevention and treatment on
diseases. BGI South Region will take full advantage of its rich resource of being headquartered in Shenzhen, industrial innovation and policy making in Guangzhou, establishing educational
cooperation with universities, developing bio-cloud computing with Guangzhou Supercomputer Center, develop the BGI South Region into an integration
center of medical health, research, education, bio-cloud
computing. In this way, Supported by "four centers", it will carry
out a large cooperative integration of resources, creates an omics
platform, generate large data, develop Giga Science, and to promote
the medicine and health care industries.
In the next 3-5 years, based on the BGI South Region Medical Testing Laboratory, the BGI South Region will strengthen genetic testing technology promotion and research of serious diseases and establish bio-industry alliances to promote early prevention and treatment on diseases. BGI South Region will take full advantage of its rich resource of being headquartered in Shenzhen, industrial innovation and policy making in Guangzhou, establishing educational cooperation with universities, developing bio-cloud computing with Guangzhou Supercomputer Center, develop the BGI South Region into an integration center of medical health, research, education, bio-cloud computing. In this way, Supported by "four centers", it will carry out a large cooperative integration of resources, creates an omics platform, generate large data, develop Giga Science, and to promote the medicine and health care industries.
Address: NO.403, Health Industrial Research and Incubation Base,Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Centre,Panyu District, Guangzhou, 510006,China
- [news]CFDA Approved Next Generation Sequencing Diagnostic Products
- [news]BGI announces world-leading research centre with the University of Birmingham
- [news]Four BGI Researchers Listed as Thomson Reuters’ Highly Cited
- [news]BGI Ranked 5th of NPI 2013 Top 10 Chinese Institutions
- [news] BGI Listed as Fast Company’s 2014 World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies
- [news]BGI Ranked 119 of Global Top 200 Scientific Institutions in 2012
BGI North China
Address: Building C2-2/3, R& Dcenter, Shiqiaozi Mulan Road, High-tech Zone, Benxi, Liaoning Province, 117004, China
BGI East China
BGI Central China
Address: No. 389 Haiyuan Road, High-tech Development Zone, Kunming, Yunnan, 650106, China
BGI Northwest China
Address(Prepared): Administration Building, No. 6 Xinqiao Road, Yangling District, Xi’an, Shanxi, 712100, China
BGI South China
BGI TibetAddress: No. 189, Jinzhu West Road, Lhasa, 850000, China