On January 21, 2001, BGI Hangzhou was founded in the lakeside of West Lake in Hangzhou.
On February 15, 2001, the important fruit of the Human Genome Project, the academic paper of ‘Initial Sequencing and Analysis of the Human Genome’ was published on the cover page of Nature.
On August 26, 2001, Chinese part of the comprehensive map of the human genome in the International Human Genome Project was completed two years before scheduled and accepted by the Ministry of Science and Technology of the PRC, Chinese Academy of Sciences and National Natural Science Foundation of China.
On August 28, 2001, the former Chairman of PRC, Mr Jiang Zemin met with Mr Yang Huanming and Mr Wang Jian from BGI and other representatives from five countries when they attended the International Human Genome Conference in China.
On October 12, 2001, Chinese Academy of Sciences, SDPC,, Ministry of Science and Technology jointly proclaimed China had accomplished the first working frame map and database of the rice genome.
- [News]BGI Ranked 5th of NPI 2013 Top 10 Chinese Institutions
- [News]BGI Listed as Fast Company’s 2014 World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies
- [News]BGI Ranked 119 of Global Top 200 Scientific Institutions in 2012
- [News]BGI Shenzhen Ranked 5th of NPI China Top 10 Institutions (2008-2012)
- [News]DNA Identification of Indian Ocean Tsunami Victims
- [News]SARS Project